Best Canister Filters for Aquariums in India: Buyers’ Guide and FAQ
Buying a Best Canister Filter for your fish aquarium can seem like an overwhelming task, but it doesn’t have to be. The process will go much more smoothly if you know what to look for and how to find the Best Canister Filter that suits your needs.
In this blog post, we will cover the Best Canisters Filters of 2021 and answer some FAQs about them so you can get started on picking out one for yourself!
- Maximum flow rate: 40 US Gal
- Permo-elastic silicon sealing ring fixed on the pump head for easy and safe closing after cleaning
- Equipped with filter sponges and/or loose filter media
- Comes complete with filter media (EHEIM Mech & Substrat Pro) and valves
- Accessories included: Filter basket, spray bar, inlet pipe, hose and installation accessories
- The SunSun HW-304B 5-Stage External Canister Filter is another goood canister filter available in the Indian market.
- It is ideal for tanks up to 150 gallons and is economical as compared to other brands.
- It is capable of handling up to 525 gallons per hour with 4 flexible media trays.
- It also has a built in 9-Watt UV sterilizer to help kill algae spores and bacteria.
- The UV sterilizer also promotes clear crystal water.
- The HW-304B canister filter also has a convenient self-priming pump that eliminates the need for manual siphoning.
- Fluval 107 Canister Filter can be used for tanks having storage capacity of less than 220 liter.
- It is very easy to setup and helps in clering aquarium water very fast.
- Very low noise is generated.
- Also Comes with 3 year warranty.
- Fluval filter media is included (Bio-Foam Max, Bio-Foam, Bio-Foam+, Carbon, Bio-Max)
- Fluval 407 Canister Filter is perfect for aquarium tanks of upto 500 liter.
- It is very easy to setup.
- Very low noise is generated.
- Comes with 3 year warranty.
- Fluval filter media is also included (Bio-Foam Max, Bio-Foam, Bio-Foam+, Carbon, Bio-Max)
- The Hydor Professional External Aquarium Filter can be used for 380-600 liter tank.
- It offers energy-efficient, silent-running performance and is very easy to setup.
- Very low noise is generated and comes with 2 year warranty.
- Additional advanced features of this outstanding aquarium filter include:
- A magnetic rotor with ceramic shaft ; A telescopic intake ; Safety Locks ; Quick-release hosetail taps ; Fully adjustable in/out pipes.
- Dophin Canister Filter is at number 5 in our list of “best aquarium filter in India.
- You can use Dophin Canister Filter for tanks having a storage water capacity of fewer than 200 litres.
- Perfect for Use in freshwater, planted aquarium, marine aquarium, small fountain and small pond systems
- It is a 27-watt external filter that provides mechanical cleaning and oxygen in aquariums.
- Filter medium such as activated carbon, ceramic rings and filter sponge is included.
- It comes with 1 warranty on the product.
- Good for up to 100 gallon fish tanks
- Pump power is 35w
- Built in 9 watt UV sterilizer for controlling algae spores and bacteria and promoting clear water
- Convenient self-priming pump that eliminates the need for manual siphoning; Single valve disconnect & priming pump ease routine maintenance ; Provides quiet, efficient filtration for fresh and saltwater aquariums is great for living rooms, offices or bedrooms
Canister Filter Buyer’s Guide: Things to keep in mind
Canister filters are a great option for those who want to take care of their aquarium on their own. There are some things you need to consider, though: the size of your tank and whether or not it has any special needs such as saltwater requirements, live rocks with algae scrubbing anemones or delicate corals that can’t be exposed to a lot of water flow.
The size and type of your filter will depend on the number of fish, the types of fish in your tank, how many gallons or litres are in it, and what kind of water you have. This is one product where it pays off to do some research before purchasing just because there are a lot of different options.
Other major factors which you should keep in mind while buying a canister filter for your aquarium are as follows:
Water flow: It is important to buy a filter with the correct water-flow setting for your tank. If you have live rocks with anemones or delicate corals, the flow of water should be gentle and not too strong so that sand particles don’t get stirred up. If you are unsure about what size filter is right for your tank, it’s a good idea to ask someone at the pet store to help you make a decision.
Filter media: It is important to choose the right type of filter media that will be suitable for your aquarium and also fit in its space. Some filters require more maintenance as they need frequent replacement of their filter pads or cartridges; while some others have a built-in filter that does not require any maintenance.
Water quality: It is important to buy a canister filter that has the capability of removing certain types of water pollutants. Some filters are capable of removing only chlorine, while some others remove both chlorine and heavy metals from your tank’s water.
Pump power: You should consider the pump power of your filter. If you have a small aquarium, then it might be more cost-effective to buy an external canister filter that does not need much maintenance and is also cheaper as well. But if you have a large tank or one with low demand for filtration, then it would be better to invest in an internal or external canister filter that will offer better results and require more maintenance.
Manoeuvrability: If you are buying a HOB canister filter, there is no need to consider how easy it will be for you to manoeuvre the unit around your aquarium because they sit on top of the tank. But if you are considering either internal or external filters, then this factor becomes important because these filters are not as easy to manoeuvre around.
Additional Factors: You should think about the additional features your filter may have, such as a heater or UV sterilizer. Many filters also come with an easy-to-use control panel and will make it simple to regulate water flow rates through the filtration system. In addition, if you are looking for a filter that can also serve as your heater or provide other features like water flow rates and UV sterilization, then there is the need to consider how much space they will take up in your aquarium.
Filter Maintenance: Undergravel filters require some occasional maintenance such as cleaning out the gravel every few months to keep it from clogging. Box-style filters need to be cleaned periodically to remove buildup and debris, while HOB canister filters will need cleaning less often as they sit on the top of your tank – however you still want to clean them out every few months because over time these particles build up in the filter system which may cause damage or malfunction.
Frequently Asked Questions About Canister Filter for Aquarium:
How often should you clean your canister filter?
We recommend cleaning your canister filter once a month. If you notice any large changes in the performance of your aquarium, this is an indication that it’s time to clean your filter again.
If you don’t clean it, bacteria can build up in the filter which will eventually be released into your tank. This could affect water chemistry, make algae grow uncontrollably or even release toxins that might adversely affect fish health.
What is the best way to clean a canister filter?
Rinse the entire outside of your filter with water. Make sure you get all of the nooks and crannies. You may need to use the stiff-bristled brush in order to reach into tight spaces for good scrubbing action! Give it a good rinse, or even better if you can submerge the whole filter in water and keep it there. You may need to turn your pump off while doing this.
After rinsing thoroughly with clean water, put some fresh media in the chambers of your filter. This will get rid of any unwanted bacteria that might be lurking.
What should you do if your canister filter is clogged?
If your canister filter becomes blocked, this will reduce the flow of water through it and prevent proper filtration. Cleaning a dirty or clogged filter is essential for maintaining healthy conditions in the aquarium. In order to clean a blockage out of your filter, you need to open the canister and use a vacuum cleaner or syringe that will fit through one of the pipes.
You can also try using a water hose to clear out the blockage. Make sure you have turned off your pump before doing this, or it will suck in any debris and make things worse! Once the filter is cleared out, replace any media that was lost during the cleaning process. If possible, use bottled drinking-quality water when you are replacing the media.
If you have read this far, then I know that you care about the well-being of your fish. You want to make sure their water is safe and clean for them to live in.
We hope this guide has helped find a canister filter best suited for your aquarium needs – if not please do let us know! We are always happy to answer any questions or offer advice on how best maintain healthy environment with our beloved aquatic friends 🙂 Thank you so much reading through our article!